A Message from Sandra Hite, Head of School:
It is with great pleasure that I write this letter of introduction to the new ESF International Kindergarten, Tung Chung to you. For almost 50 years, ESF schools have offered world class educational opportunities to the Hong Kong community. The new custom designed school for 3-5 year olds in Tung Chung reflects the mission and values of the Foundation that have guided the ESF schools from the earliest days. The guiding principles are:
- a focus on people – the children, families, and staff
- having high expectations for every student
- discovering and building talent
- valuing and respecting the needs and rights of others
- fostering cultural understanding
- building trust by demonstrating integrity
- being accountable for what we do and the resources we use to help ensure the future of the world.
ESF International Kindergarten, Tung Chung, is a candidate school* for the PYP. This school is pursuing authorization as an IB World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy- a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
* Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme, or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
For further information about the IB and its programmes visit http://www.ibo.org
The school is the largest Kindergarten in ESF. The design is functional, adaptable, and well-resourced to meet the dynamic needs of the 3- 5 year olds who inhabit it. The spaces support learning, stimulate imaginations, nurture children, families and staff- and truly inspire the wonderful memories of childhood. Both indoor and outdoor spaces, materials, technology and equipment, intrigue, invite, and stimulate students to move, dance, role play, create art, develop language skills and investigate science principles.
The school reflects our aspiration for each of our children to flourish. Our goal is to nourish each child, individually, and meet their changing social and emotional needs every day. We strive to provide children with strong foundational skills for future academic success and also to equip them to participate as flexible, creative thinkers and engaged citizens in an increasingly complex and interdependent world.
With over 30 years of experience as a teacher, principal and early years advisor in Asia, the US, Europe, and the Middle East, I know that each child is precious and learns in an individual and unique way. Our school is a place where all children’s potential and parents’ ambitions for their children can be realized through high quality teaching and strong home-family relationships. The staff at this school have been selected to provide the quality education that the ESF community in Hong Kong has come to expect.